2/15/19

Like We Were - Boston 5

I spent the hours before dawn of an entire night, remembering who we were  
mixed with the movies, the music, and the hurried, traveler movements of this last year apart. The touch of our famous goodbyes.

I dreamt of us   and woke to who we are now.
Us living goals   and gliding past skies   and calling when it's late.
The airports,
the new strangers
 and the timezones of our friendship state.


How I miss you when you're gone  
chasing cobblestones in Europe,
calling red-light after closing,
and telling me to wait another day.

Wait - until the moonlight that we feel  
wait until the coming home again  
wait until it clears for you to feel.
Feel "what you've always felt" and let it be days upon the changing city.
Let it be every late night, and last drink, and takeaway good story... let me have you this time and have it last.

What if I show up at your door (you say)  
and we start this all again.
What if the miles didn't exist. What if tonight  
we'd be us again, like we were then.


But we never were.







. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment